Search

DIY Industrial Pipe Shelving





Okay, so this project wasn’t as easy as the last industrial pipe project I did - industrial pipe towel rod- but it was well worth it! I had been wanting some shelving in my room and never wanted to buy anything because I couldn’t find anything that I loved, so I decided to build something instead. Going with the modern farm house theme, I felt like stand alone industrial pipe shelving would be perfect! Here’s how I did it...




First things first, you’ll need supplies.


    Here’s What You’ll Need:
    1. 4- 12 inch nipple fittings 1/2-inch diameter
    2. 4- 10 inch nipple fittings 1/2-inch diameter
    3. 4- inch nipple fittings 1/2-inch diameter
    4. 2- inch nipple fittings 1/2-inch diameter
    5. 4- 2 1/2 inch nipple fittings 1/2-inch diameter
    6. 4- Floor Flange fittings 1/2-inch diameter
    7. 2- Tee Fittings 1/2-inch diameter
    8. 8- Coupling fittings 1/2-inch diameter
    9. 4- cap fittings 1/2-inch diameter
    10. 1- 2x10 wood board (which I cut in to three 4 ft boards)
    11. 1 inch hole saw
    12. Electric Sander 
    13. 100 grit sandpaper or lower (I used 60 grit)
    14. Table saw
    15. Spray paint (optional)
    16. Wood Stain
    After getting all of the supplies I needed, the First thing I did was cut the 10ft wood panel in to three 4ft boards, then using a 1-inch hole saw I cut four holes in each of the boards for the pipes to run through.
     When I used the hole saw pieces of the board splintered by the hole. Since I was going with a more rustic feel on the shelves anyways I didn’t mind that it had splintered, but if it bothers you and you want a more clean look you can always use wood filler to fix it.

    I used a Douglas fir wood board which required sanding with a low grit sand paper. I used 60 grit to sand the boards. Anything higher than 100 grit won’t allow the stain to set into the wood enough. I stained the wood using Minwax Ebony. I actually had originally stained the wood using Minwax Jacobean, but decided to go with Ebony instead. Jacobean was pulling too much red and I didn’t like how the color looked so I stained over it with Ebony.

    I sealed the stain with a Minwax Polyacrylic seal. 


    Once the holes were cut and then wood stained, I began assembling the pipes. (After getting all the grouping of pipes together, I spray painted them with Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze for a more polished look.)

    Step 1:

    Take the 4 floor flange fittings and attaching them to 4 of the 6 inch nipple fittings. then attach the 4 of the coupling fittings to the tops of each of the 6 inch nipples, and then the 4 12 inch nipple fittings to the coupling fittings.


    Step 2:

    Next, take the 2 tee fittings and attach them together using one of the 3 inch nipple fittings. Once you’ve made 2 sets of those, you’ll want to attach them to the top of the shelves 12 inch nipple fittings. Then you’ll attach the 4 12 inch the 4 10 inch nipple fittings to the tee fittings. Once the pipes are attached slide the second board on. 


    Step 3:

    At the top of the 10-inch pipes I added another set of coupling fittings and then 2 1/2-inch nipple fittings on top of that, and slid the third board on.


    Step 4:

    After you slide the third board on you want to add the cap fittings to the tops of the 2 1/2 inch fittings to cap it off. 



    Once you’ve attached the cap fitting you’re done!






    No comments

    Post a Comment