Search

5 Decorating Tips to Make a Small Home Feel Bigger

Decorating a small house can be a challenge, trust me, I know. Within the last 5 years I have moved 5 times, downsizing a little more each time, which also makes each room a little more of a challenge.Here are some tips and tricks I've picked up on how to decorate your small home in a way that will make it feel bigger than it actually is!



1. Avoid Using Dark Colors.  
Paint color is crucial for every room, but it can also be one of the hardest decisions to make. Its easy to change furniture and accessories, but changing the paint color on the walls can be a major pain and generally you only want to do it once. With small homes its an even bigger challenge because a color in a room on Pinterest may look fantastic, but it will look awful in your own home since the space and windows of a room really impact the way the color looks. Best thing to do is stick with the something simple and light. I like to pick whites and grays that are so light they pretty much look bright white. It may seem boring, but the rest of the decor in the room will make it less of a focus and more of a background.

2. Add A Pop of Color in Accents.
Since you’re going to avoid dark colors on the walls, painting furniture and accessories dark, bright or vibrant colors is a great way to spice the room up a bit. Throws, pillows, furniture  etc., are all amazing way to really add a pop of color. 
Here's an example of some color I added to my sister's room through a piece of furniture. I absolutely hated this room, and this dresser. In fact I had tried to spruce it up before by painting the knobs many many times, but it just didn't do the trick. Finally one day I just decided to go paint it. I had seen a lot of great pieces on Pinterest where the drawers alone were painted a bright and vibrant color and I fell in love with the concept! I even took a shortcut and spray painted the drawers rather than using a brush to paint them. In total it cost me $8 for the spray paint and I'd say it was totally worth it!

3. Use What You Already Have. 
An awesome to save money is to repaint old furniture and accessories. You’d be surprised at how easy and affordable it can be, especially if you choose to spray paint things! Furniture, accessories, hardware, etc. can all be easily painted and turned into something new and fantastic for your home. Don’t think that just because have some furniture that might look like it won’t go with your home decor or is a little beaten up, doesn’t mean it unusable.



I’ve painted this dresser silver, black blue, and now white. I’m very pleased with how it turned out. It looked awful before and we almost threw it out because it didn’t fit anywhere. However, I painted it white and now it is our media stand in our living room.
 
4.  Keep It Simple.


Don’t go crazy with all the clutter. Accessories can become clutter if there is too much of it. Too many accessories or furniture can also make a room look a lot darker and smaller than it actually is.

I wish I had a picture of my room before I decluttered it, but unfortunately all I have is this picture of Lucy where you can see the chaos in the background.  As you can see the clutter is madness! I was trying to make storage for everything in all the wrong ways. It was a mess. Finally, I realized that there were better ways to store all of my junk without it being out in the open for everyone to see.


 5. Placement Is Crucial. 
They call it feng shui. Its amazing how crucial furniture placement it, especially in a small home. Trying to cram too many pieces of furniture into one room, or having them in the wrong place can really make a room feel way smaller than it already does. It can also really affect the mood of a room. Be selective in the placement of all the furniture in your room. Stay tuned for more on the perfect placement when it comes to furniture. I'll be posting tips and tricks on how to get the placement just right.

That sums up the basics to decorating in a small home!! Enjoy & I hope what I've learned will help with any of your small home decorating dilemmas too! Thanks!

No comments

Post a Comment