Search

Brick Bedroom Mini Makeover/ Future Plans

When I moved into this new townhouse, A LOT of work needed to be done! I decided to start with my bedroom since most likely that's where I would be spending the most time. This was no easy task! There were a good amount of things I absolutely hated about it. For starters, the hideous blue carpet... Not to hate on anyone who likes blue carpet, but for me and my style it was not the right fit (but I'll come back to that later)! On top of the blue carpet, there was this awful fake brick wall. Initially I wanted to take it down because I thought it was wallpaper or something along those lines. However, I was wrong. The fake brick ended up being the actual wall!



Now, I love brick walls, but this fake brick just looked cheap and it couldn't stay as is. I had to make a decision. Should I tear down the brick wall and replace it with dry wall? Or should I leave it as it is and work with what I have? I chose to just work with what I had. Financially it wasn't worth tearing down the wall. 


So here's what I did. Since I love the brick wall look I didn't mind keeping the concept but the dark brick looked a little too fake, so I figured paint would fix it and create a kind of camouflage. I went with Behr insert color here. As you can see in the before picture above, the dark color of the brick made the room look very included and like a cave (as I like to say.) Brightening  the room up by painting the walls a super bright almost white color would complete change the dark dynamic of the room. It's amazing how much better the room and the brick looked white! 

As for the other walls, I went with a pale blue. I chose Behr Glacier Bay.


I also have the trim a makeover. It all remained white but it's crazy what a little paint can do, especially on trim. It made such a huge impact on the room. It looked brighter and a lot more clean. 

Okay, now that I've discussed the wall situation, I can go back to talking about the awful blue carpet. The real issue with the carpet was that it was disgustingly dirty. As you can see in the before picture, there's a sliding glass door in the room that leads to the backyard. Since there's no deck on the second floor it's pretty much the only way to get to the backyard so as people go in and out they're constantly tracking dirt right through my room. So carpet in any color is not the solution for this room. Unfortunately, tearing up the carpet is not financially possibly solution to my muddy blue carpet at this moment, but here is what my plan is for a future date...

Option 1. Painted Concrete 
After a lot of Pinterest searching, I came across the idea to pull the carpet up and paint the concrete below. 


Option 2: Install Hardwood Floors.
Installing hardwood floors is the option I would prefer but considering my very tight budget it doesn't look probably until later, so in the mean time I'm most likely going to paint the concrete until I can afford to install hardwoods. 

Well, that covers the first phase of my bedroom makeover. I know it's pretty boring but I promise the rest of the makeover is much more exciting! Stay tuned because I'm going to post the other aspects to my makeover (such as furniture, accents, etc.) Let me know what you guys think! 

No comments

Post a Comment