Search

Night Stands: IKEA RAST HACK


I recently purchased two IKEA RAST dressers and decided I wanted to turn them into night stands. After looking at a bunch of hacks on Pinterest I finally combined a few of my favorites to create my own hack. You can see the inspiration I used here and the final product here. 


So, for starters I kind of did this 2 different ways. The first dresser I was so impatient that when I got it I put it together right away. Then I thought to myself “why would you do that?” It’s so much easier to stain them before they’re put together. So, for the second dresser I stained all the pieces individually before putting it together. 


I started by using Minwax Jacobean, but then, after putting the dresser together, decided it was too brown and wanted the color to be a little more gray.


So I went back and stained the dresser with a coat of Minwax Classic Gray. 


To be honest, I got kind of lazy toward the end there and didn't fully stain the insides of the dresser. you cant see the inside anyway, so I made sure to stain the outer edge where you could see but didn't worry too much about the rest. 


Once I was done staining, I waited overnight for the stain to fully settle and then used MINWAX Polyacrylic Protective Finish in Satin and a Woodster foam brush to seal the dresser. 


There were a few things that I still needed to fix before the night stands were complete. The dressers looked so "Blah" just as they were, so I wanted to make them look a little more refined. First, the top of the dressers had a dip in them. 


I fixed this by cutting a new top 25in wide and in deep.


For the drawers I added a trim around them to make them look more finished. I bought 4 1in x10ft 1/2 in thick pine board and used a miter saw to cut the angles for the corners. 


I used the same wood for the sides of the dresser too.



After the whole thing was pretty much done, something still wasn't sitting right with me- the color. It needed a little contrast. I decided to paint the outside Sherwin Williams White Cotton. The dresser was too plain stained all the same color. For me, the white base really livened it up!






No comments

Post a Comment