Search

Shiplap Wall in the Bathroom: Part 1



I have been wanting to add shiplap to a room in the house for so long & now I've finally done it!! Back when we tore the faux brick wall down and replaced it with drywall in the basement we had to tear down the paneling in the bathroom too since the bathroom was put in after the basement was finished. They decided to have the brick paneling run behind the the dividing wall, so when the faux brick came down in the bedroom it also pulled the bathroom paneling down too. Long story short, the bathroom wall was now down a little paneling and a lot of studs.








I'm not going to lie, this kind of worked out well for me. This meant that I was able to replace the awful brick paneling the the bathroom too!! I decided to shiplap this wall rather than drywall it for 2 reasons. First, I really really wanted to shiplap something, and second, I just couldn't even fathom having the mess from installing drywall for another month again. 
One day, as I was casually strolling through looking for a new project to start, I stumbled upon something awesome! I found preprimed shiplap for only about $10 for a 12 ft board and $8 for an 8 ft board. Since the wall I wanted to cover wasn't that big I knew it would be affordable and easy to do!




The wall I was covering with shiplap was about 8 ft tall and 5 feet wide but has a giant window in the middle so I ended up needing 3 12 ft boards and 5 8ft boards.

I measured out the length I would need for each piece of wood and used a circular saw to cut them down to size. Then I started installing the piece under the window sill first. This made it so I wouldn't have to make any cuts to fit it around the corner or the window sill. It worked out really perfectly for me because the boards matched up perfectly so I didn't have to cut around the top of the window either. Then only awkward cuts I had to make were around the electrical plug, which ended up working out well for me too because I was able to cut some out of the top of one piece and some out of the bottom of another instead of having to cut out a hole in the center of one piece. I really don't know how it worked out so perfectly but I'm definitely not complaining!
i nailed all of the pieces directly into the stud and then went back after and filled the holes in with wood filler. 
Once all the nail holes were filled in I sanded the wood filler down and I was finished! I need to install trim on the corners of the walls to finish it off (and also hide the hideous cuts I made on some of them), install the baseboards and install the new trim around the window but so far so good!


No comments

Post a Comment