Search

DIY Monogram Thumback Art


Now I know, I haven't shown you guys everything else that was part of my bedroom makeover yet, but I recently worked on a project I really wanted to share! Monogram Thumbtack Art!!


I was really excited before starting this project, because I had seen similar concepts on Pinterest and always thought it looked really cool. In fact, I'm not really sure what stopped me from making the move toward making it. Finally the other day I just decided to go for it & let me say, I am so pleased with how it turned out!! Here is how I made my "L" Monogram Thumbtack Art...





For the monogram letter I went to Jo-Ann Fabrics. Lucky for me I looked on my Jo-Ann Fabrics app I have downloaded on my phone and found a 30% off coupon for any regular prices item. 

By the way, I highly suggest downloading the app if you shop there as much as I do. They always have great coupons!! I purchased a 23.5" Paper Mache Letter in the letter "L" for Liana of course. For the spray paint and the thumb tacks I went to Walmart. They tend to be the cheapest there.


Here's the list of of all the supplies and how much they all cost...

1. 23.5" Paper Mache Letter 

Jo-Ann Fabrics

$9.99 (before tax)

-30%
I Paid ----> $6.99 (before tax)
2. Thumb Tacks
Walmart
$1.88 (before tax)
x4
I Paid ---> $7.52 (before tax)
3. Rustoleum Satin Canopy Black Spray Paint
Walmart
 I Paid ---> $3.77 (before tax)

Total: $18.62


I decided to paint the "L" the Satin Canopy Black. So I started with that first.
I did 2 coats about 20 minutes apart.


After applying the second coat I waited about 40 min before handling the paper mache letter

Once the letter was completely dry I began to assemble it. I decided to just cover the front completely in thumb tacks, but you could also do a pattern or just the border. BE WARNED... the thumbtacks can be tricky to line up exactly and they don't always end up where you want them to.

Once you've places all the thumbtacks where you want them, its time to prepare the letter to be hung up. Since they don't come with any attachments on the back to hang them up I had to rig it a little to get it to stay on the wall. Here is what I did...

1. I took an old hanging clasp from the back of a picture frame that was no longer hanging on a wall and nailed it into the back of the letter. I didn't have any problems with the nails being unable to support the weight of the letter with all the thumbtacks in it, even though the letter itself is hallow. The nails stayed in just fine.
2. This won't be an issue with all letters, but in my case the letter "L" hung on a tilt since the weight was not able to distribute evenly. In order to prevent the "L" from hanging on a tilt, I simply nailed a white nail along the bottom of the L to help support the uneven weight.

No comments

Post a Comment